Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February 3, Dad's Birthday

I took this picture with Dwight's Baby Brownie that he gave me. Note that the gate is still useable, to keep out the neighbors' cows. I always loved this jaunty pose of Dad's. We could remember his birthday because it comes the day after Ground Hog's Day. The birthday routine seemed to be the same. When Dad came in from milking in the evening, he would look at the carefully-set table, and comment that it must be someone's birthday.
The rest of the meal might be the usual fare, but there was usually a frosted cake with candles.

6 comments:

Ann said...

I love this photo of Dad - the way he would cock his head to one side, close one eye and look at us with a teasing smile. Sweet memories.

Judy said...

I came to the blog looking for something else and this caught me off guard. I appreciate the post.

Steve Blood said...

The meal became halibut and angel food cake. Nice.

Judy said...

Frozen peas and maybe even french fries!

Elizabeth said...

Some of us didn't stay at home long enough for the halibut or french fries. Lucky younger kids.

Judy said...

Remember Dad saying: "It was for the Hal-i-but"?